According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.70 square miles (1.82 km2), of which 0.68 square miles (1.77 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2), or 2.63%, is water.
New York State Route 30 runs through the center of the village, leading northeast 19 miles (31 km) to Grand Gorge and west 26 miles (42 km) to Downsville. NY 28 passes through the southern part of the village, leading east 45 miles (72 km) to Kingston and northwest 24 miles (39 km) to Delhi.
In 1708, Queen Anne of England gave the Hardenburgh Patent to Johannes Hardenbergh and his associates. Chancellor Robert R. Livingston divided 221,748 acres (897.38 km2) of the land among his family. In 1763 Harmanus DuMond was deeded 75 acres (30 ha) “opposite Margaretville” by Chancellor Livingston. A 1765 map by Will Cockburn shows a road from Marbletown to Pakatakan (near present-day Margaretville and Arkville). In the 1770s, the original settlers paid “one hundred forty-nine pounds and 19 shillings” to American Indians for the land.
Click here for More Wikipedia History Continued
For More History, Events and Photos, Check out the Historical Society’s Margaretville section.